Monday, January 3, 2011

pad thai please



the past two summers my youth group has went on wonderful mission trips through an organization called Center for Student Missions.  As a part of the trip, the organization allows you to experience different ethnic foods from around the world.  One of my favorite foods we had while in Houston was Pad Thai, and tonight, I couldn't get the delicious thoughts out of my mind, so I thought I would try my hand at making some.  I checked out a recipe at allrecipes.com tweaked it a bit to my own liking and came up with this.


What you'll need:


1 12 ounce bag of rice noodles
1 pound boneless chicken breast
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic
3 green onions
2 eggs
6 tablespoons rice vinegar
3 tablespoons sugar
6 tablespoons lime juice
pinch of cayenne
3 tablespoons soy
3 tablespoons teriyaki
1 cup bean sprouts
3/4 cup crushed peanuts


* Chop up green onions & mince garlic


* Heat olive oil in wok until about to smoke, then add 1/2 of the chopped green onions and the 2 cloves minced garlic


* After a minute, add your pound of thinly sliced boneless chicken breast.  cook until chicken is done.


* Add two eggs to chicken mixture and scramble.


* In a sauce pan heat water and add your rice noodles.  Don't boil, just allow to set in warm water for 10 minutes.


* Mix together rice vinegar, sugar, lime juice, cayenne soy and teriyaki


* Add noodles to wok and stir until chicken is mixed in.


* Add the liquid mixture to wok as well as 1/2 cup of bean sprouts and 1/2 cup peanuts


* Stir and cook for 3 minutes, making sure the noodles are absorbing the liquid from the sauce.


* Remove from heat and garnish with chopped green onion, more crushed peanuts, and bean sprouts


enjoy!


(note: many pad thai recipes calls for fish oil, and i personally can't stand the stuff, so this recipe is for all you who hate things that are fishy)

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious. I'm a big fan of thai food! Def gonna have my mom attempt this :) thx for the post

    ReplyDelete