Tuesday, January 25, 2011
what's for dinner: avocado burger + homemade potato wedges
avocado burger & homemade potato wedges
there's one thing i know, i love a good hamburger. if i was on the show survivor standing on a pole in the middle of the ocean trying to win immunity, they would probably be able to bribe me off that pole with a juicy hamburger.
tonight i decided to take a spin on the traditional burgers that i make, and try an avocado burger. avocados are a great source of oleic acid which actually lowers cholesterol and some believe eating it will lower your risk of breast & prostate cancer.
with that said, here is how to add a little avocado into your own diet, via the avocado burger
ingredients for one avocado burger:
1 whole wheat hamburger bun
1/2 small avocado
3 cherry tomatoes diced
1/4 cup sliced onion
1/4 tsp butter
1 turkey burger patty
salt & pepper
* Heat a skillet to medium heat. Sprinkle your patty with a little salt & pepper. (i get my turkey patties at aldi. they are very low calorie and inexpensive). Cook the patty until it is done. (you always want to cook turkey completely!)
* While patty is cooking, add a little butter to your bun and place on the skillet to toast.
* Also place sliced onion on skillet until caramelized
* In a bowl, smash 1/2 avocado with the diced cherry tomatoes. sprinkle on a little salt for flavor
* Remove toasted buns and spread avocado mixture on the buns. Then add grilled onions and turkey patty.
* ENJOY! We were in a bit of a rush tonight, so I didn't have time to snap any pictures. It was absolutely delicious, quick and easy. the picture above isn't mine, but can be found here.