1. leave a love note in an unexpected place for someone near and dear to your heart.
get your own sparkle banner here.
2. it's bound to snow in february where i live and where most of my readers live. when the snow is falling, go to sleep that night with your blinds open and allow the snowflakes and soft glow of the sky float into your dreams. creeped out by this idea, just sit in a dark room with the windows open and watch the snow fall :)
3. make a list of all that you are thankful for. i realize we just celebrated thanksgiving a couple months ago, but during the coldness of winter (which has many of us holed up inside) it is easy to get down. making a thankful list not only helps you realize how blessed you are, but will also pick up your spirits.
4. make your own valentines. use items found in your house to save money and keep them uniquely yours. who really enjoys the store bought, cliche, valentines day cards anyways? (i know many of you hate valentines day, but there is always someone in your life you who love or who needs to know they are loved, so suck it up, and make their day!)
this one is made out of brown paper sacks. you could cut images out of magazines to create your own designs. (source)
these are super adorable and made out of matchboxes. (source)
i had to include this one because i remember making these with my mom one year for all of our family members on valentine's day. such a sweet memory. (source)
and finally valentine cupcakes? well you know me and my love for cupcakes! (source)
5. instead of take out, make a homemade pizza. it is healthier, cheaper, and you can be really unique with your toppings. try spreading cream cheese on your crust before adding your sauce (the most delicious secret that my dear friend brady taught me). try different cheeses or adding spinach. plus you can get cute with it, laying your toppings out in the shape of a face or spelling out someone's name. here's a crust recipe if your need one.
6. cover your bedroom ceiling with glow in the dark stars. it makes going to bed at night magical.
7. Memorize a Bible verse, poem, quote or saying that enriches your life. I've been working hard learning two Bible verses each month thanks to a challenge from Beth Moore and her blog. The verses I have learned so far this year are 1 Corinthians 2:9 and Psalm 31:14-15. This month I am learning:
Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you. I have called you by name; you are mine.
When you go through deep waters, I will be with you.
When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown.
When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up;
the flames will not consume you.
For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.
8. Make your own hot cocoa. Skip that whole instant packet stuff and try this recipe on for size. "Creamy Hot Chocolate"
9. go bowling. i know my friends can only think of jim gaffigan jokes right now. (get in on the inside joke here). but seriously, i haven't been bowling in years, and i think it would be a fun alternative to movie night :) plus the shoes are really cool :)
10. seize the day. i'm going to be doing a blog post about this in the near future, inviting you all to join me for this little adventure. stay tuned....
happy february everyone!